Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

I do like what St. Joseph County Public Library is doing with their wiki.  They have information that is contained in our MD Share, often asked facts, and reader's advisory.  I could see where the user friendly design is more appealing than the standard library website; including a wiki modeled on St. Joseph's would be great.  But let's not be throwing the baby out.

The reader reviews on WorldCat, as with Amazon, are helpful.  Kindergarten lesson: sharing is good.  However, having a wiki that the public can contribute to means that libraries would have to have a staff person, or persons monitoring the content constantly and consistently, even using filters, to guard against inappropriate language, diatribes and spam.  Once set up, the time requirement might be small enough to be a daily task rather than a huge portion of the day.

I like wikis, I like them not, I like wikis, I like them not...

No comments: