Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thing #22 Audiobooks

Since our library has Overdrive, I looked at that first.  In watching the tutorial, I became alarmed that it might not be available for Mac users, but in going to Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium, I was pleased to see "Announcing OverDrive Media Console for Mac!"  Apparently the tutorial was created a while back and the Mac development is quite recent.
I also discovered that there are now titles, both audio and video, that are always available!
No limit on the number of copies.  How cool is that.  I guess they may be ones in the public domain?

I checked out Project Gutenberg and thought the computer generated audiobooks quite odd.  That technology is miraculous for those who cannot speak but not appealing to one who loves words, written and spoken aloud.

What really drew me in, or perhaps sent me off, were the links  to LiteralSystems.org and Librivox.org.  They're looking for volunteers to proofread and also to read/record, and of course, donations to keep going in the quest to make everything in the public domain available to everyone.

As someone who loves to be read aloud to, (I used to show up in my sons' third grade classrooms when Mr. Jeff came to read), I love audiobooks.

1 comment:

markopete said...

http://www.audioforbooks.com

A growing library of free audiobooks for subscribers