Saturday, July 5, 2008

Thing#2 - 7 1/2 habits

OK, here are the 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learners:

1.  Begin with end in mind.
2.  Accept responsibility for your own learning.
3.  View problems as challenges.
4.  Have confidence in yourself as a learner.
5.  Create your learning toolbox
6.  Use technology to your advantage.
7.  Teach and mentor others.
7.5  Play!

Easiest?  I'd have to say that #3 is the easiest for me, as I am a puzzle solver to the core.  The hardest part of #3 is that I have to want (be interested in) to solve whatever the challenge is.

The hardest is probably #6.  While I think technology is very cool (even though computers did force me to finally learn how to type... oops! keyboard), I find the issue is the time, or lack thereof, to learn how to use it all.  I find myself resenting the "theft" of my time by having to read absurdly thick manuals containing obscure instructions for myriad features that I don't want.  The operation of a lot of devices seems anything but straightforward, and sometimes I just want to get on with my life.  Sometimes, I don't want more and more choices!

Wow, did I just vent, or what?

No comments: